At Eagle Vision Property we specialise in Property Development imagery and one of the most important points during the development process is the Permit Approval or Development Approval point as it is called in some states.
Quite often this needs to be argued at VCAT (Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal) in which case accurate Photomontages of the future development need to be presented.
VCAT Photomontage Images are required to fulfil the following and the information to accompany photomontages or other computer generated images is as below:
A written statement explaining the methodology used for the preparation of images, including:
- the identity and qualifications of persons involved in the preparation of the images including data collection;
- the name and version of the software programme/s used to prepare the images;
- the methodology used to collect relevant data (for example whether survey data has been obtained from topographical maps or fieldwork);
- the camera brand and model including whether digital or SLR;
- camera lens size and type and whether the camera was horizontal or tilted. If tilted the angle should be stated;
- time of day and date of all relevant data (including when photographs were taken, survey information obtained and the like);
- the height above ground level from which all images have been taken / would be viewed;
- details of any existing elements that have been reconstructed or modified (other than the proposal itself) such as modifications to existing vegetation, re-instatement of cross-overs and the like;
- any assumptions relied upon;
- a plan showing the location from which all images have been prepared / would be viewed and the angle of view;
- a photograph of the existing conditions;
- a photomontage of the proposal based on the same lens type/size and location as the existing conditions photograph (to enable direct comparisons) without the inclusion of any proposed landscaping;
- a second photomontage image showing the proposal with any proposed landscaping, including delineation of the proposed building outline in the background.
VCAT Photomontage Image Creation Process
At Eagle Vision Property – we follow the same strict modelling process like we do for 3D Exteriors, however what gets even more detailed is the preparation of the Environment Photography.
At Step 1 – Specialised Survey of the site is created by external Survey consultants which are able to deliver a 3D CAD data cloud.
Step 2 is where the Exterior Background photography is taken at a specified height with a VCAT approved SLR camera – and these photos are then used as the background shots for our 3D matching process.
At Step 3 – We utilise the 3D matching technique in our 3D Studio Max software to align the 3D cloud data from the surveyor that diagrammatically looks like the below:
The rectangles above are the photos that were aligned in the space and the crosses represented the 3D markers from the surveyors data. This way we can align the photos in the 3D space exactly to the real context and be certain that the photo-matched image will come out with the model matched in accurately.
Ultimately when the images are rendered out – the renders are then photo-matched into the background with accurate time of day lighting and minimal processing to ensure realism and accuracy.
This post was a brief discussion of our internal process for the delivery of VCAT Photomontage images to you – for more information, get in touch with us either by phone (1300 208 177) or email us for any questions.